Generations of Merton villagers have been buried in St Peter’s beautiful churchyard, and their gravestones stand to the north and west of the church. To the south, overlooking Merton Hall, are the graves of some members of the de Grey family.
An unusual memorial in the north porch lists the men from the village who served in the 1st World War and “returned safely”, while two wall tablets inside the church commemorate the men from Merton who died in the two World Wars.
Almost all of the other memorials inside the church building are to members of the de Grey family, or their staff, reflecting their position in the parish.
Of particular interest are…
- The fine monumental brass showing William de Grey with his 2 wives, 5 sons & 5 daughters
- The ornate marble tablet commemorating Robert de Grey, a Catholic who was buried in Merton church although he had always refused to worship there
- The marble angel over the north door, the work of the Italian sculptor Raffaello Romanelli
- The brass tablet to two brothers, Israel & John Buckle, gardener & gamekeeper on the Merton estate
- Two distinctive wall tablets in a style influenced by Art Nouveau
- The carved oak reredos showing the Last Supper, given in memory of the Rev. George Crabbe, rector 1851-1884
(Please click or tap an image to enlarge it.)